HomeForumsPanoPress SupportVery Novice Questions

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jesper Frehr 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

capedoryus
    Participant

Thanks for making such a wonderful plug in. I cant wait to get it working. I am not very inexperienced with web structure. I have made sites with dreamweaver but only following tutorials. My questions are very basic and almost embarrassing to ask.

I am using PTGui for generating the web files. PTGui creates an HTML, JS, SWF, 14 jpg files and one jpg that looks to be a contact sheet of the 14 jpg files. If I check the HTML file I get a perfectly stitched pano using Explorer (security issues with Chrome that I cant seem to get around).

Here are my questions.

1) When I create the folder, using PTGui, should I use the name my-panos.

2) Do I need to put all the images(15) in one folder within the PTGui folder before uploading.

3) I noticed /path/ being used. When do I use /path/. I do not see path in any directory. Since I am a novice I am using files on hard drive, and server as a guide and am confused with /path/.

4) Do I embed and use short code? So far I have set the file using the advance settings ie folder path.

5) when using short code do I use the four lines of code in the instructions?

6) if I have more than one pano where do I enter a descriptive file name?

Yes these are the questions of a total novice and any help you can share is appreciated. I have been putting panos up on 360 cities and tourwrist (user name capedoryus) for over a year and would love to have a wordpress site. The dreamweaver site is keywestvirtualtours.com and its all IFrames. Its far from finished. Thanks in advance
    John Conway
    Key West Fl

Sam Rohn
    Keymaster

hi john

1 – “my-pano” could be anything, it is just a placeholder name

2 – i’m not sure of the exact proper working folder structure for ptgui panoramas, but you must upload a working directory containing all needed files to your server as would normally be required, consult the ptgui documentation for details

3 – “path” is also an arbitrary placeholder name, it could be anything, for example:

assuming your panorama upload folder in panopress preferences is left at the default wp-content/uploads

you could store your panoramas different ways as show below, with all needed files alongside the html file

uploads/pano-1/index.html

uploads/panoramas/pano-1/index.html

uploads/panoramas/project-1/pano-1/index.html

etc

and you would embed like this for the above cases

[prettify]

Error
    Javascript not activated

Error
    Javascript not activated

Error
    Javascript not activated

[/prettify]

avoid using spaces in folder and file names, dashes are better for webserver

4 – im not sure i understand, see #3

5 – you only need to use the shortcode once for one pano

6 – each shortcode instance accepts a title parameter as below, spaces are ok in title

[prettify]

Error
    Javascript not activated

[/prettify]

thanks 🙂

sam

Sam Rohn :: New York City
    360° Panoramic Photography :: www.samrohn.com
    Location Scout :: www.nylocations.com

capedoryus
    Participant

Thanks a million Sam for your reply. Your generosity is appreciated. I thought regression was impossible when I started now I am back with a few more basic, as in very basic, questions.

1) Here is the order as I understand it: PanoPress plug in “Settings” for upload location then to “embed”(via the PP Icon) with file path and then insert short code on page. Is this correct?

2) When I enter the info in the embed box , save, the box disappears and comes back empty with no changes on the page. Correct?

3) Does the PanoPress Embed (PP button)  generate the short code? Or do I create via the examples in the instructions?

4) Do I change the html file name to index.html? Are html and htm recognized as the same?

I have tried all the options in each of the above questions that options would apply. As you may guess the page is still naked. Here is what has happened so far: Most of the time I get the page starting itself again ie a second banner and heading with “well this is embarrassing  quote below the second banner. The only time I saw hope was when I entered a swf file as the last in the path in the embed and short code and I did get an empty box where the pano could go. The htm file(from PTGui) will open a working pano on a browser.

Thanks in advance

John

I apologize in advance if these question have been answered in the prior post. As i narrow down options I hope that I am reducing chances of mishaps. Thanks again

Jesper Frehr
    Participant

Hi all you panopressers

I’m converting from joomla and trying to set up a WordPress site with panoramas. I’m stuck the same place as capedoryus.

I fill out the form, but the plugin only returns me a blank form. I tried to wait, but I get nothing. Awaiting your answer. It looks good in other webpages.

Jesper, Denmark
    http://WWW.Virtuelledanmark.dk

Sam Rohn
    Keymaster

hey guys

if you are not seeing the panopress shortcode after entering it in the popup box, it is most likely a conflict with another wordpress plugin or your wordpress theme, see the general troubleshooting FAQ here –

http://www.panopress.org/forums/topic/panopress-troubleshooting-faq-read-me/

if you find another plugin or theme that has probs w panopress, let us know and we will see if there is anything we can do on our end

you can also enter the shortcode by hand if you are having such a conflict, just copy an example from this site and edit as needed for your file names

leave the upload folder in settings at the default of “wp-content/uploads” unless you know what you are doing and/or have a reason to change it, read the panopress instructions and FAQ for more info on the upload folder

“index.html” is just an example file name, you must use the name and path to an actual working file on your site, .htm is not the same as .html etc, it must be a real file name that exists on your server

the easiest way to make sure everything is working is to upload a folder containing a working panorama to your wp-content/uploads folder, get the address to that folder pano and make sure it loads properly on its own, outside of wordpress

then enter a shortcode like this with an absolute url, replacing the file=”” value with the complete absolute url to your panorama, make sure your pano url works on its own, outside of wordpress, and no, you don’t need to use caps as in my example

[prettify]

Error
    Javascript not activated

[/prettify]

if you use absolute urls as in the above example, you don’t need to worry about the upload folder in settings, panos embedded with abs urls can be from any location, on another server, etc

if you are having further problems, please post a link to your site and to a working panorama as described in the FAQ

thanks 🙂

sam

capedoryus
    Participant

Thanks again Sam for your dedication and generosity  I did place the short code as described (ab url on page) and it is the most progress so far. I can almost see the light at then end of the tunnel   I did  it with the Lightbox and without and did it with two different themes (2013 and 2010). I get a box, either lightbox or a box that extends into the sidebar if not using lightbox, a title and a small bit of text  at the bottom of the box stating “created with PTGui software”. So some of its working but there is no image just a while or off white area depending if I am using lightbox or not.  When using Lightbox I get a box within a box and it looks like PTGui is putting the second box within Lightbox. I tried reading the code in the java script and to say it is Greek to me is a slight against Greeks. The HTML file within my pano folder does work in IE if opened with just the browser but not in Chrome  due to security issues I cant seem to get around. Any insight is appreciated and once again thanks for the effort and generosity in your work.

John

Sam Rohn
    Keymaster

hi john

like i said above, i would need to see working links etc as described in the FAQ to figure out what might be happening here

http://www.panopress.org/forums/topic/panopress-troubleshooting-faq-read-me/

i would also in general recommend using pano2vr or krpano to create your final panorama for online display, ptgui is a great panorama stitching program but final panos for web are better made in another app

sam

capedoryus
    Participant

Thanks again Sam,  I did download Pano2Vr as a trial and am working through the tutorials. I have uploaded the files created by PTGui. The links are for ge.tt, where the files are stored,  and my trial with WordPress.  Thanks once again

http://www.keywestvirtualtours.com/panos2/

http://ge.tt/63V0FYV?c
    John Conway

Sam Rohn
    Keymaster

hi john

your second link is not a link to a panorama, you must use a working link to an actual panorama or panopress cannot function

you must upload your panos via ftp to an actual server as explained in the panopress instructions, not to a file sharing service like gett

sam

capedoryus
    Participant

Thanks Sam,

Please, please, please fill me in on what is a actual panorama.

I do have the  files uploaded to ge.tt  uploaded to wordpress, via FTP, under w-p contents/uploads. The host is Ipage. I uploaded them to ge.tt because I did not know how to get a working pano to you.

Really I am not sure I know what makes an actual pano.  

The Html file on ge.tt (a copy which lives in wordpress, on IPage server) opens the other files and produces the pano(my understanding).  These are the working files prepared by PTGui and work with IE and Mozilla when  the files are on the hard drive.  As a test I sent the same files, on ge.tt, to a friend who downloaded them and opened them in Mozilla and the pano was perfect.  

Sorry for any confusion and thanks again for your time. My understanding is that the program, PTGui or Pano2Vr will produce a series of files that make up the pano. These are the files I think I uploaded for your inspection.  Any help is greatly appreciated. The only other actual panos I have are fully stitched images, jpeg and tiff,  that I upload to 360 cities.

Thanks for your patience
    John

Sam Rohn
    Keymaster

first thing is you must learn and understand how to upload and access a panorama on your website completely outside of and separate from wordpress and panopress, this is basic website building stuff that is necessary for running any kind of website, your webhost can provide detailed instructions on this

this is a link to a working panorama (created by tilman bremer using saladoplayer)

http://www.tilmanbremer.de/panorama/ehrenwert2012/index.html

this is the embed code you would use for that panorama (using an absolute url & height & width)

[prettify]

Error
    Javascript not activated

[/prettify]

and here is the result

Error
    Javascript not activated

please re-read the panopress instructions re: uploading panoramas, particularly the part about using ftp, it may take a while for all this to make sense, so just keep reading till it does, patience is the key

sam

capedoryus
    Participant

Sam, Thanks again for all your help and patience. Here are the results. Still needs lot of work. I can see a lot of potential thanks to your generosity and knowledge with the plug in.

http://www.keywestvirtualtours.com/friday/boggie-wooogie/

John Conway
    Key West

Jesper Frehr
    Participant

Hi Sam

Thanks to your post I am up and running!
    The manual insertion of the code was the solution

Cant wait to publish my new WordPress site

Jesper

Jesper Frehr
    Participant

Hi capedoryus

I clicked on your website and saw just the white play arrow ind the black box. If you want the pano to be seen – just untick

Open panoramas in Panobox window More options

Jesper

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.