HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHosting 360° Panoramas on Amazon Web Services S3

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sam Rohn 2 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Sam Rohn
    Keymaster

Using Amazon Web Services S3 to Host 360° Panoramas

updated december 01 2014 for better cloudfront compatibility

Amazon Web Services S3 is an excellent solution for hosting 360° Panoramas, it is very inexpensive, easy to set up and manage, and allows easy embeds of your panoramas on other domains and websites (WordPress or not) using PanoPress or other methods, iframes, drupal, etc

AWS S3 has no inode limit and works especially well with multi-res panoramas, gigapixel panoramas, and large tours with tens of thousands of image tiles, many standard shared hosting plans have an inode limit of 100,000 files per account, which can easily be exceeded with a few large gigapixel tours created with krpano, Panotour Pro, or Pano2VR, AWS S3 also works well for large streaming 360° Video Files

Here is an example 360° panorama hosted on Amazon S3, embedded here with PanoPress

Error
    Javascript not activated

Create an AWS S3 Account

If you do not already have an AWS S3 account, sign up for a Free Amazon Web Services Trial Account, see the following video for details

Create a Bucket

Once you have created your account you will need to create at least one Bucket, see the following video for simple instructions if you are not already familiar with basics of using AWS S3

Set permissions for your bucket

use the AWS web interface to set AWS Bucket Policy & CORS Configuration, setting these as below will automatically set public read access permissions for all files in that bucket, otherwise you will have to set permission per file and may have trouble viewing your panoramas

amazon-s3-panorama-hosting

AWS S3 Bucket Permissions: Bucket Policy and CORS Configuration

Go to your “All Buckets” list on your S3 page, click on the “Properties” button in the upper right, select your bucket, and click on the “Permissions” option, and set the following –

Edit Bucket Policy –

Replace BUCKET_NAME with the name of the bucket you are editing

Add CORS Configuration

Uploading Panoramas

You can upload your panoramas to AWS S3 either using the web interface, or with ftp clients such as Cyberduck or Transmit, and many others

More Info on Using AWS S3

See the Amazon S3 documentation or search Google for more information on using AWS S3 and other AWS web hosting services

Sam

Sam Rohn :: New York City
    360° Panoramic Photography :: www.samrohn.com
    Location Scout :: www.nylocations.com

wilko124
    Participant

Hi Sam, great tutorial! I use S3 to store my 360 video files, and distribute through Amazon Cloudfront. All my links work fine in browsers, even when embedding with panopress, however on mobiles and tablets I am receiving a fatal error, (xxxxxxxxx).xml – loading failed (0). Any idea what the issue could be?

Thanks

Sam Rohn
    Keymaster

i have not looked into the specifics of proper set up for cloudfront with panoramas, once i have the chance to dig into it i will put up another tutorial…

thanks 🙂

sam

Sam Rohn
    Keymaster

Updated December 01 2014

better AWS Cloudfront compatibility

changed CORS config from

to

this should resolve any CORS origin and loading errors when hosting panoramas with Cloudfront and likely other CDNs like Cloudflare etc, see these links for more info

http://krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=57217

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14814437/cloudfront-denying-cors-from-one-domain-but-not-the-other

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24424490/getting-s3-cors-access-control-allow-origin-to-dynamically-echo-requesting-domai

sam

alex
    Participant

Hi, Thanks for the post.

But, I could not solve the problem

My cors on s3:

Bucket police:

In the Chrome and Safari browser I see

INFO: krpano 1.18.4 (build 2015-04-23)
    INFO: Desktop/MacIntel – Chrome 43.0 – WebGL INFO:
    Registered to: ****
    ERROR: loading of /panoramas/2607/tiles/u/1/0_0.jpg failed!

In FF browser all are well.

What happens ?

Thanks a lot.

Sam Rohn
    Keymaster

in line 10 of bucket policy you must Replace BUCKET_NAME with the name of the bucket you are editing as specified in the instructions

"Resource": "arn:aws:s3:::MY_BUCKET_NAME/*"

this means if your bucket is named “alexbucket” you must change that line to

"Resource": "arn:aws:s3:::alexbucket/*"

otherwise, no way to for us to know what might be going wrong without seeing a link etc

sam

alex
    Participant

My MY_BUCKET_NAME correct. I changed it, of course 🙂

Sam Rohn
    Keymaster

best way to determine what is causing your particular loading error is to inspect your pano with firebug and similar web inspector on chrome or safari browsers, search google for more info on any reported errors etc, digging a bit is often how you get to the bottom of these things…

sam

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

One thought on “Hosting 360° Panoramas on Amazon Web Services S3

1. Pingback: on Amazon Web Services S3 :: PanoPress.org | all my stuff