HomeForumsPanoPress SupportDoes Panopress work OK with WordPress 4.2.3 [Yes]

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Martin 2 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Martin
    Participant

My hosting site upgraded to WordPress 4.2.3 today as a security fix

I am asking about Panopress because all my panoramas created with panopress have stopped displaying today and I’m trying to get to grips with what has happened

What is displayed now is just the descriptions for all the panos on that page just concatenated into one long string and no images

Other media files on the site (NEXTgen photos and page headings etc) are all OK still

For info I use the Twenty Twelve theme with slight mods (as a Child theme)

Martin

Sam Rohn
    Keymaster

howdy

yesterday’s wordpress 4.2.3 security update changed the way wordpress handles shortcodes, and this has broken a quite a few wp plugins that use shortcodes

however, all of my own panopress shortcodes are working fine after wordpress 4.2.3 security update across several sites and do not seem to be affected by this at all, but this issue has affected other plugins i use

specifically, shortcodes with quoted attributes break inside of quoted HTML attributes, so something like this will fail after wordpress 4.2.3 update

however, changing the html attribute quotes from double quotes ” to single quotes ‘ seems to work for me, note that shortcode value is still double quotes

so the only way i see this would affect panopress is if you were somehow using panopress shortcode inside an html attribute etc, please let us know if the above fix works, and otherwise please post a link to a page which is failing and the specific shortcode you are using

the security issue that was fixed in wp 4.2.3 is described here

http://wptavern.com/wordpress-4-2-3-is-a-critical-security-release-fixes-an-xss-vulnerability

specific changes to wp shortcode api in 4.2.3 update are here –

https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/07/23/changes-to-the-shortcode-api/

and the resulting shortcode probs are being tracked here, i expect that wp will be updated to fix this issue asap

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/33102

also note that wordpress 4.2.3 is a critical security update, some folks have recommended reverting to 4.2.2 shortcodes.php in wordpress core files, but this is a very bad idea and could result in your site being hacked, which would be a much bigger problem vs a few broken shortcodes…

sam

Sam Rohn :: New York City
    360° Panoramic Photography :: www.samrohn.com
    Location Scout :: www.nylocations.com

Martin
    Participant

After a bit of trial and error I can now see where the problem is

In order to get side-by-side panoramas on each page (up to 3 across and any number dowm) with the descriptions lined up under each pano I used a construct as shown in the attachment.

Basically I used a “container” to bind together the pano itself and its title then used positioning logic in the CSS.

This has now completely stopped working and only the titles are displayed. I wasn’t really too sure how it was working anyway !

I have no idea why exactly it stopped on this particular WP upgrade or how to replicate the functionality !!

Sam Rohn
    Keymaster

seems your code is missing a closing right angle bracket > in opening div

this results in a double quote " immediately proceeding the shortcode, and since the opening div is not ended the shortcode is now “inside” the opening div element rather than enclosed by opening and closing div elements, and this is probably what is triggering the wordpress 4.2.3 shortcode errors explained above

<div class="container"

should be

<div class="container">

un-closed opening div as above is incorrect html should not really work anyhow, but if it were on purpose, using single quotes ' not double quotes " would probably fix it like this –

<div class='container'

also see these examples

<div class="foo">[shortcode]</div> = good

<div class="foo" [shortcode]</div> = bad

from your code here –

sam

Sam Rohn :: New York City
    360° Panoramic Photography :: www.samrohn.com
    Location Scout :: www.nylocations.com

Martin
    Participant

Thanks Sam

You’re a star for spotting that missing >

I put it in for all the pano pages and all the panos reappeared

For some reason the spacing commands on margins and the border types specified don’t seem to be getting picked up as they were before the WP upgrade so the titles are a bit far away from the pano but now the site is working again I can look at that a bit later

Thx again
    Martin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.