HomeForumsPanoPress SupportCan't get panopress to work

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sam Rohn 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

concept360
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’m obviously doing something stupidly wrong as I’m quite new to WordPress.
    I’m trying to run a Virtual Tour on my home page using Panopress.
    This is the code I’m entering:
    [*pano file=”http://www.360examples.net/concept360/wp-content/themes/concept360-evolve/tours/villa_paulita/bar/tour.html”]
    I’ve also tried:
    [*pano file=”http://www.360examples.net/concept360/wp-content/themes/concept360-evolve/tours/villa_paulita/bar/tour.xml”]
    and:
    [*pano file=”http://www.360examples.net/concept360/wp-content/themes/concept360-evolve/tours/villa_paulita/bar/tour.swf”]
    On every attempt, when I click ‘insert’, either the url simply disappears or nothing happens at all… the panopress window just stays on the screen.

The url is definitely correct: http://www.360examples.net/concept360/wp-content/themes/concept360-evolve/tours/villa_paulita/bar/tour.html

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Sam Rohn
    Keymaster

you are entering the shortcode without the “*”, right ?

if you are having probs w the [PP] insert panorama button in the wordpress fancy editor, make sure you have tried disabling other wordpress plugins and are using the default wordpress theme as explained in the PanoPress FAQ, conflict w another plugin or theme is pretty much the only cause of that behavior, other than a problem with your wordpress install itself, or a problem with a particular web browser perhaps

see the FAQ for more info

http://www.panopress.org/forums/topic/panopress-troubleshooting-faq-read-me/

sam

Sam Rohn :: New York City
    360° Panoramic Photography :: www.samrohn.com
    Location Scout :: www.nylocations.com

concept360
    Participant

Hi Sam and thanks for your response.
    Still no joy and, yes, I’m entering the code without the’*’… I’m ‘new’ (reads as ‘stupid’) but not that new! :-). If I past the shortcode here without the ‘*’ the tour runs in the post window, so I know the code is good. I’ve tried entering other codes also, to eliminate the possibility of any failing in my file system.
    Examples:

Error
    Javascript not activated

Error
    Javascript not activated

I am working on an edited version of the Evolve theme but I can’t believe that pp won’t work on an edited theme!… surely that would render it pretty much useless. Anyway, I tried reverting to the unedited theme and still have the same result.
    My default browser is Google Chrome so I wouldn’t think it’s that that’s causing the problem but I tried in Safari anyway… same result.
    All other plugins are disabled.
    Panopress is version 1.2 and all settings are set to default.
    Wordpress is version 3.8.1
    My tours are html5/flash and are produced with krpano.
    I have searched the forums and can only find 1 similar thread, but it was not any help.
    Obviously, I can’t post a link to demonstrate my issue as my issue is that the plugin won’t perform.

I hope that’s enough info for an analysis.

Kevin

Sam Rohn
    Keymaster

hi kevin

there are so many possible wordpress theme/plugin combinations that there is no possible way for them to all be guaranteed to work together, saying that panopress is “useless” because it does not work with your particular 3rd party theme (which i have never seen before) is a bit much 😉

in any event, i very strongly recommend testing with the default wordpress theme as i mentioned above, that is the only way to determine if this is a theme problem, which seems quite likely to me

note that your panos and panopress are working fine in the embed above on this site, so again, theme problem on your end is the likely culprit, you might want to check w your themes author

thanks

sam

concept360
    Participant

Hi Sam,
    Firstly, I apologise if I offended you with my ‘useless’ comment. It certainly wasn’t meant in that way. It was more of a surprised observation than a statement. I would imagine that there are very few themes out there that have not been tampered with or edited in some way and, with this in mind, my thoughts were that, if Panopress is not designed to work with edited themes, how would one use it…?
    I hope that clears that little issue up. As I said, the last thing I meant to do was offend in any way.
    I did, as I put in my previous post, try it with the unedited version of the theme and have since tried it with a couple of the themes that come bundled with WP. i.e. Twenty Twelve and Thirteen. The result is still the same.
    For now, I am using an iframe as I need to progress but, I would still like to get to the bottom of the issue if you can suggest anything else I could be doing wrong.

Thanks for your time.

Kevin

Sam Rohn
    Keymaster

hi kevin

no worries

but, all wordpress plugins and themes are made by independent developers, and while they are all checked by folks from wordpress for security & general compatibility standards before being added to the wordpress plugin or theme directory, there is no possible way for anyone to guarantee that every single plugin will work with every single theme

plus, “editing” a theme could mean anything, and there is no way for us or anyone else to know what part of your theme you may have edited or how or why etc, or what effect that might have on other parts of your site

virtually every theme on every site i have ever made has been edited/hacked/modified by me somehow, but i have never seen any of my own theme hacking cause a problem with panopress, nor has anyone else reported this as a general issue

but if panopress is not working properly with the default wp theme (twenty-twelve, twenty-fourteen etc) and NO other plugins or modifications, the only possibilities left are a problem with your particular server or wordpress install, or perhaps some other unknown factor in your setup, everything is working fine in your post above so there must be something about your site that is off somehow

but we DO want panopress to work as well as possible for as many people in as many different setups as possible, so if there is any other info you can provide we will look into it and see what we can do, we would also need to see a link ot a page on your site with a non-working embed, as explained in the panopress FAQ – troubleshooting help guide

thanks

sam

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.